The Future of BibleBot

(Photo by Ben White on Unsplash.)

As we near our 4th birthday, along with our new record of serving 20,000 communities, it’s due time that we close the chapter on being a small hobby project and take BibleBot to the next level.

To do this, we’ve founded Evangelion Ltd., a private limited company incorporated in Edinburgh, Scotland. While the project will still be developed and provided by all of us, creating the legal entity will allow us to exponentiate our growth. For one, it provides us legitimacy. We’re well past the point of being a small service, given our scope.

Additionally, founding a company will allow us to the service a more serious endeavor. Many publishers would not consult us if we weren’t a registered legal entity. Being a side project would appear as though the service is immature, still in its infancy. After 4 years, we think we can move on from that.

Most importantly, founding a company will allow us to serve you with much more reliability. Since incorporation, we’ve overhauled our internal operations from support to infrastructure, all with the goal of serving you efficiently. We’ve moved our server infrastructure to Vultr from Kimsufi. All the better, our costs have gone down and our reliability has gone up as a result. We’re backed by Vultr’s Service Level Agreement, ensuring 100% uptime, something that we didn’t get from Kimsufi. We can host BibleBot in the United States rather than France, so connectivity issues are a thing of the past as well.

We’ve migrated from a small support chat room to a full-fledged ticketing system, which will allow us to serve you more personally. All tickets upon close are reviewed by our Outreach Coordinator, so that way we can learn and improve our support structure.

Additionally, we’ve started keeping track on our version preferences to see which versions users are relying on, as well as the ones that aren’t so popular. We once boasted a 200+ version count, but only ~21% of those versions had a user count of 10 or more. Furthermore, there are only 9 versions that exceed 100 users, and the differences among them are fairly exponential. We’ll be keeping an eye on these stats so that way we can trim down the versions that are generally unused, so we can deliver a higher quality product by being able to concentrate on the ones with the most use. We still want to ensure a version for as many languages as you speak, but we want to make sure we do it right.

Finally, a recap on version 9. Version 9 is a full rewrite of BibleBot into TypeScript, effectively Node.js (our original programming language) but with a better type system added to it. Rewriting BibleBot allows us to look back on our code, improve some of our fundamental errors, and create more efficient, neater code. Consider it a nice refresh. While the rewrite is the most ambitious part of this update, this doesn’t translate too well with the end-user. With v9, we intend on adding a significant portion of our requested versions, one way or another. This may take some time as we’ll have to contact publishers to work out a licensing agreement, but we want you guys to use the versions that you like, not the ones you might be stuck using.

A small footnote for all of this, we are working on getting into contact with HarperCollins to restore the NKJV. We still have yet to understand where our shortcoming was. In the meantime, we recommend using the KJ21 until then.

Thanks again for your continuous support on Discord as well as on Patreon, without it we wouldn’t be where we are today.

Glory to God,
Seraphim